Is COVID-19 a dangerous, deadly, and disruptive pandemic? Yes, no doubt. Is it anxiety-producing, heartbreaking, and terrifying? For sure. Is it among the worst societal challenges most of us will see in our lifetimes? Almost certainly.
But, COVID-19 is not bigger, braver, tougher, or more resilient than the vast majority of people we all know. We are better and smarter. We are more collaborative and flexible. We are more compassionate and loving.
We the people are the best thing this planet has to offer, so let’s act like it.
Stop the COVIDiocy™!
Please do not let cabin fever, denial, economic hardship, fear, or uncertainty drive us to do dumb stuff. Instead, please focus on the following antidotes to COVIDiocy™:
- Do what the medical and scientific experts tell us to do.
- Resist the temptation to follow the advice of people who think and sound like us, and tell us what we want to hear.
- Help others who need us emotionally, financially, and medically . . . without unnecessarily endangering ourselves.
- Be more patient and understanding than we have probably ever been before.
- Stop believing that our problems or circumstances are more difficult and unique than everyone else’s. We are all hurting in different ways and everyone deserves empathy.
- Do one nice thing a day for yourself and extend that same courtesy to others. Give generously in food, money, time, and other support to those who are less fortunate.
- Reconcile the competing needs of the present and the future. See clearly what we need to do today to make it to tomorrow, as well as visualize how much better things will be in six months if we take care of today first.
- Accept the inevitability of ambiguity . . . that the new normal is coming, even though we don’t yet know exactly what that means or what it will look and feel like.
- Be a leader and set a good example for others . . . especially children and other vulnerable members of society.
- Stop the COVIDiocy™ if you hear, feel, experience, witness, enable, or promote it.
President, EXec EXcel Group LLC